Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Miss Universe Malaysia 2012



I posted something on another popular website and as expected my comment got lukewarm responses. I'm just grateful I was able to say what I thought about the whole competition. Who says freedom of speech is dead in Malaysia?

Read on..........

IF it were up to me, none of the contestants would’ve been picked because none could answer questions eloquently and intelligently.It is no secret that the judges at the actual Miss Universe competition ask tough questions which catches even the most intelligent contestants off guard. In fact, some of the answers given by the girls who made the last four didn’t even make sense! Unfortunately we had to pick someone and in the end Kimberly (Penangite I think) won.

Curiously, when was the last time a non mixed parentage contestant or one who wasn’t from a private school won?

Last year, Deb Henry (half Irish, half Indian) won and this year’s winner is also half Malaysian half ang moh.

I don’t know whether it’s nerves or a sad reflection of our Malaysian education system but the quality of some of the contestants throughout the show, as seen from their answers to some of the more easy questions as well as their conduct off stage makes me wonder whether we should bother sending someone to represent the country if it would do more harm than good for our country’s reputation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

On the whole, great job again by the organisers in trying to find someone who can best represent the country though personally I think standards have dropped dramatically in the last ten years or so.

The contestants either don’t understand the question because of their poor command of English OR their command of English is good and they understand the question but their answer lacks substance because they don’t read enough (poor general knowledge).

Again, just my two cents worth.

Yep. I posted that on another website like I mentioned earlier.

Whether you agree or disagree, standards have dropped. Btw, I can't believe someone actually kept footage of old competitions like the one below.




I think people like Josephine Wong (Andrea Fonseka's mother) or even Lina Teoh can give the new generation a good run for their money. Also,  things might have been very different if Muslim women could still join beauty pageants because as you've just seen, in the past, we did have some good Muslim contestants (Yasmin Yusof and Erra Fazira to name a few).

No comments: